Setting Purposeful Goals

How important is it to set goals?  If you are that person that plans everything, from the time you are to get up, the time you go to bed, as well as everything in between, do you ever accomplish all of those tasks?  Of course there are some people that live life as it comes.  No plans, no vision as to how things should go.  Things just fall into place.  No stress, no worries. 

Some people like me have to have a well-thought out plan in order to get things done.  I plan, plan, and plan some more.  I monitor progress, then review progress to be sure that I am on the right track to get things done.  To some, I may not look very organized.  I work on many tasks at one time.  Most of the time I can complete tasks with ease because of my plans.  So, the question is...is it important to set goals?

If we set goals, then we have an idea of where we will go from one point in life to the other.  It is an excellent idea to take a look at the progress that is made over the years.  One of my pet peeves is to make no progress.  I need to see some type of movement.  I am guilty of planning the future of my kids to a certain extent.  I look at the goal that they have set, then inform them of their progress.  I have grown to learn that others do not want to hear you tell them that they are sitting still in life.  Unless they ask.  In reality, they may be comfortable with where they are.  Not that this is a bad thing, but why stay stuck in the same old place year after year with no progress...total waste of time.  That's just me.  Maybe I am an over-achiever.  I am always pushing for more.  Bad?  I don't think so. 

I believe it has to do with what is instilled on the inside of me.  It is that little small voice inside that keeps saying keep going.  I can do better than that.  Push on.  I have to reach my goal. 

The worst thing in the world to me is failure.  Failure to you may be okay.  Some people learn to live with it.  I cannot say the same.  To me failure means defeat.  I will not be defeated and I am not ashamed to say it.  The wheels are usually turning in my head.  I believe it has a lot to do with the amount of time that I spend in prayer for direction.  The last thing that I want to do is spend years and years going in the wrong direction.  If you have ever gotten lost by making a wrong turn?  Well you may drive thirty minutes in the wrong direction.  Once you realize that it is the wrong direction, you turn around then head back in the direction that you came.  Well you have just wasted an hour in order to get back to where you started from.  Why spend so much of your time doing what you want rather than what you need to do in order to reach your goal, which should line up with your purpose in life. 

Time is so precious.  We can spend year after year trying to do something that wasn't even meant for us to do.  That goes for careers, education, and relationships. 

So, I would say that it is important to set goals.  Setting goals will give a sense of direction.  But, prayer is also needed for guidance and focus.  When the two are put together, then it is a winner in the making.
http://www.cafepress.com/everygoodandperfectgift/13222769





About Me




Need more inspiration?  Listen to the Faith Builders Podcast

 

Comments